• Your Manuscript It’s best if the manuscript is a word processor document. When no computer document is available we can create one by transcribing handwriting, or using optical character recognition of typed pages. OR
• As told to our ghostwriter As an alternative Book Services can provide a ghost writer who will write the manuscript based upon interviews.
2. Editingis important if you want your book to effectively communicate with your readers. Book Services provides a range of editing services, from simple and extended proofreading, to overhaul and rewrite (most authors never need the latter).
Editing Looks at:
• Structure of the manuscript
• Clarity of the writing
• Aptness of word choice
• Credibility of characters
• Inconsistencies in timelines
3. Proofreadingis the last look at the text of a book before it enters production. This looks primarily for misspellings or improper punctuation, grammar or formatting.
• Spelling mistakes and inconsistencies
• Incorrect or awkward grammar
4. Art, Graphics, Photographs
• Original artwork
• Original graphics
• Original photographs
• Scanning pictures & documents
• Image preparation for printing
• Copyright clearance
5. Layout & Designnot only assures your book meets the requirements of the distribution format (print or eBook), but also assures the reader of a positive experience. All elements of the layout contribute to that experience. Book Services offers a variety of layout & design packages for prose, non-fiction, fiction, illustrated and children’s books.
Books, Magazines, Newsletters, Brochures
• Layout – fonts, margins, paragraph style
• Cover & dust jacket
• Photoshop and InDesign services
• Original graphic art services
• ISBN numbers
• Print on Demand ready files
• eBook ready files
6. Print on DemandUpload to the print-on-demand service and/or eBook distribution channel.
Printing on demand using:
• Lightning Source (Ingram Spark)
• Create Space
7. Proof CopyA final look at the book is given just before it enters distribution. An electronic proof confirms the accuracy of the print-on-demand upload. For eBooks the actual ePub file downloaded from the distributor is proofed. For printed books, before releasing the book for distribution, a physical proof is printed and reviewed to confirm that all visual concepts of the book work on paper as intended.
• Electronic proof (PDF, ePub)
• Physical book
8. Marketing & Public RelationsIn addition to a Facebook page, a page is added to the Book Services web site to support online orders that result in higher author royalties.
• Festivals & Events
• Press Releases
• Social Media & Blogging
9. DistributionImportant database entries are made and confirmed for online and print retailers. Special content files are uploaded to support front & back cover images, and previews such as Amazon’s “Look Inside the Book”. In addition to a Facebook page, a page is added to the Book Services web site to support online orders that result in higher author royalties.
Domestic & international distribution:
• Baker & Taylor
• Barnes & Noble
• Many others